Follow

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Do it Afraid!

(Kim Possible)

Hello World, it's me again, Joan B. Average ... and this time, I'm doing it afraid!  Sorry for the ten-week delay, but if you're a writer, you know we live in two worlds.  The real world and the one we create in our heads.  

 (Khavan's angry face)

We're annoyed when the real world pushes us out before we're ready to emerge.  Our fists are balled, our eyes blazing, we're ready for a fight.  Rambo is no match.  But on the outside, we apologize, placate and step back into the status quo with a need for Pepto Bismol and chocolate. Lots of chocolate.

(box of chocolates-Fannie Mae Chocolates)


 
Send Donations to:
To make donations call 1-800-4UNICEF of visit www.unicefusa.org/haitiquake



We (writers) want to stay balled up in our fulfilling world of protagonists, antagonists, compelling drama, conflict, triumph, mayhem, madness and the joy we create.

At the same time, we're thankful.  Because if our family members and sister friends didn't pull us back, we'd probably be babbling to ourselves in a padded room with visitors once a week.  

Wow, think of the movies and books we'd create. We'd probably win a Pulitzer and an Oscar.   Down girl!  Now how did I get back to the writing.  You see, it's who we are.  It's not just a career, especially if you find something good about being in a rubber room. Think happy thoughts.

 
 

Aah ... I'm back.  I can see the finishing line of my sleepless-in-fiction goal -- my first novel aka novels.  I'm a few chapter edits away from submission, well ... re-submission.  This is actually a rewrite from the suggestions of a publishing exec I met at the Maui Writers Conference.  Time indeed has passed because now it's called the Hawaii Writers Conference.  (a recent change) Nevertheless, I won't let a little thing like time stop me. 

My biggest challenge and the reason for my ten-week disappearing act was an 1,100 page, bear of a manuscript, I managed to edit and cut into two and a half books.  Procrastination was the culprit.  Not the kind of procrastination that stops you from writing, but the avoidance kind.

 

Sure, I dove into my other writing projects like a cat to nip ... just to avoid my literary Mt. Everest.  Now that I can see the finish line of my family saga flag from where I'm dangling with a harness three jagged rocks away, I can shout it out:  "I did it afraid and I'm proud of it."

On January 23, I finished the actual cutting and I'm only a few chapters away of sending it to a close friend who heard me utter my first declaration -- "I want to write a novel" -- eons ago.  I shudder to admit that it was in another century.  I had to go there.  

Next, it'll go to my editor, who was one of my first editors right out of college.  Life really does come full circle.  And then it'll go to a former book production editor friend who should catch any glaring red flags. 

 (The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants)

This is my version of "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants," I like to call the "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Manuscript."   My hope is that it fits everyone who wears it ... all shapes, sizes, walks-of-life, ethnicities, etc.  You get the idea.

Don't be surprised if you see that title in an upcoming post.  I hope it'll be nothing but blue skies, green lights and clamoring book editors when I ease on down re-submission road in early Spring.

(Flickr.com)

Before I go to the Land of Oz, this Average Joan owes you my sincerest apology for not letting you in.  Believe me, it won't happen again.  I owe it to all of you Average Joans out there, to let you know the good, the bad, the crazy, the wonderful and the ugly on a daily or every other day basis.

I'll take this pledge with you as my witness. 

I AVERAGE JOAN DO SOLEMNLY PROMISE TO LET YOU INTO MY ADVENTURES IN FICTION WRITING AND SCRIPTWRITING WHETHER I AM BOLD OR DO THEM AFRAID.

 Chocolate Heart

We'll seal it with anything chocolate. 

There's strength when you do things afraid.  There's victory when you don't let fear stop you.  There's a power you release into the world that never returns void when you set out to live your purpose with faith.  

Welcome back to the roller coaster ride ... don't forget to buckle up.




Miracles and Blessings!



Stop by iCafe Woman Moderne  
Avirtual cafe where you can just be.
  

1 comment:

  1. Happy Valentine's Day! Be a blessing to someone today! Be satisfied and contented everyday. Enjoy your life and the joys and struggles that come with it.

    ReplyDelete